Monday, July 28, 2008

Inspiration

Sometimes people ask what inspires me. Well today at practice I heard a story about a runner who is a fellow member of Team USA: Lopez Lomong. I'm going to tell a very brief version of his story, but I think you should definitely check out his profile at NBCOlympics.com. What an amazing person...

Lopez was kidnapped when he was six years old from his village in Sudan. After spending some time in a prison camp, he managed to escape to Kenya (a 3-day run) to a refugee camp where he spent the next 10 years. He learned how to write and entered as essay contest with the prize being adoption by a US family. He won and ended up in upstate New York where he learned about such luxuries as clean, warm, running water and electricity. He joined the track team, received a scholarship to Arizona, and made the 2008 Olympic Team!

On days when the pool is really cold, the mornings are really dark, the practice is really long, and it seems like you can do nothing right, one thing that really helps is a little perspective. The struggles I've been through seem pretty small in comparison to what this Olympian has overcome. I am both honored and inspired to be representing the same country as this incredible individual.

Only 10 days till Opening Ceremonies...

3 comments:

Pelechati said...

you getting nervous yet?

Rebecca Evans said...

Hi Janet, thank you for your blog posts on preparing for the Olympics! I hope you and the team have an amazing time and great swims, thank you for the artistry, beauty, and strength you (and the rest of the team) have contributed over the years. I can't wait to see your routines on TV....it is so great that we are finally getting coverage of ALL Olympic sports these days! I have done enough synchro to know how hard it is, and how much work it takes to get to your level of sport. You will be getting cheers from us in the East Bay!

Taffe said...

Janet-
Congrats on making the team. It is so great to see you achieve one of your dreams. I wish you the best of luck at the games and those of us in SoCal are cheering you on. I can't wait to see your performances!