Saturday, August 9, 2008

Back to work

After one of the most exciting evenings of my life, we're back to practice as usual today. We actually flew to Korea yesterday morning for a week-long training camp. I love South Korea!!! It is beautiful and sunny, the people are so nice, and the food is delicious. They make sure we have everything we need, right down to providing bananas for breakfast since many of us love having them in the morning (maybe I get that from my dad??) Being in Korea also lets us have a huge pool all to ourselves without regulated times for laps and music. If we stayed in Beijing, we would probably only have about 1 hour of music time a day, whereas here (and at home) we can use the music all the time if we need to.

Practice so far has been pretty hard as this is really our last chance to get in the last bit of work before we head back to Beijing. This morning we spent 1 hour on land and 4 hours in the pool, and we'll head back this afternoon for another 4-hour session. We're hoping to get a little dry land-drill time at the beginning--but I'm not counting on it!! It's definitely hard work, but I just keep telling myself that this is all worth it. The "big party" at the end (aka our competition swims of tech and free) will only be a party if we've done our work before-hand!

5 comments:

Pelechati said...

Janet great entry. Pretty incredible to think in two weeks time you can say you've met the president and competed in the most prestigious athletic event in the world.

Anonymous said...

Janet: As former members of Wellshire P.C., we became aware of your Olympic selection and your blog, which we are enjoying very much. We are well acquainted with your Mom and Dad; and we are very proud of you. We wish you all the best in the competition, and we know that, regardless of the outcome, this will be a wonderful experience for you. Go for the Gold!!

Bob & Sue Webber

Anonymous said...

Hi Janet,
It sounds like you're having an amazing time in China. My family and I saw your team when we were watching the opening ceremonies. Good luck in the competition!!! I can't wait to see you're completed free routine!

-Ann Marie
P.S. I met your sister Jennie at the Aquamaids camp!!! =)

Katie Roberts said...

Hi Janet! I have loved following your blog and all the Olympic stories from around Santa Clara. I hope when you are all done and settled back here we can have some Chipotle. :) In the mean time, I wish you all the best of luck, enjoy your time, and I look forward to following your journey throughout the next two weeks.

Cheers!
Katie Roberts

Brendan Ross said...

Hey Janet! It's been really great following you on this blog -- I've been telling a bunch of friends down in Texas about it, so you've got a big fan base down here in Austin. Thanks for letting us in on your incredible experience.

Have a good flight back to China and good luck! You're gonna do great. I'll use my connections in Beijing to try to get them to warm up the pool a little for y'all.

Brendan Ross