Saturday, August 23, 2008

Free competition

Today was our last day of competition at the Olympics! We had such a wonderful swim today--I mean really incredible. It was everything I had hoped it would be: slow-motion, in the moment, hard enough to know I gave it my all but not so much that I worried if I would make it through, feeling the energy of the audience, and connected with my team-mates the whole time. If I picture my perfect swim, our swim today would be it!

I'm writing this after having just attended a dinner in my team's honor with my parents, husband, and sister, and having spent a little time out in the city of Beijing celebrating with my friends. I was wondering what this moment would feel like, the moment when I look back on today and on the Olympics as a whole. I wondered whether I would be happy, satisfied, and relieved or disappointed, sad, and upset. And the thing is, even though our place today was not what I had hoped it would be, I'm not feeling angry or disappointed. I am so proud of myself and my team, no matter the place we ended up. It sure would have been incredible to medal--I can't deny that. But at the same time, it was pretty incredible that we had our two best swims at the Olympics. And not only were they our best, but I think they were the best we could have done. I have no regrets about the competition. We worked hard every day and we really wanted it. Sometimes that's satisfying in itself, particularly when you're competing against the world's best!

So now all that's left is a little time in the village, closing ceremonies, and a little free time in Beijing with my family. This has been an incredible and indescribable experience...but it was everything I hoped it would be!

3 comments:

bsbell said...

We loved watching your program. You were so great. Congratulations!

Brian & Sue Bell

Pelechati said...

Janet you've done something less than .01% of the world gets to do. Enjoy reflecting back on everything you deserve it.

Andrew

Unknown said...

Janet,

We enjoyed watching you and the team. It was a wonderful program, and it was clear that everyone put their all into that performance. You should all be very proud of yourselves. Thanks for all your hard work and the sacrifices you have made to fulfill your dream.

Enjoy the rest of your time in Beijing. See you soon.

Love,

Aunt Judy and Uncle John