Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ready to go

Today marked our last practice before synchro competition starts tomorrow with duets. After 3 days of duets, there is just one day off until team competition begins. I can't believe that all the waiting is almost over!

Practice went pretty well today, although our music time at the cube was not until 4:00 so we had a long day. We started again at BNU but today we got to eat lunch there in their amazing cafeteria. It was a highlight of the day! Another highlight was the warm-up CD that we listened to this morning. Kim, one of our captains, often makes CDs to listen to while we warm up every morning. But this one is extra special because it is our Olympic mix with such songs as Neil Diamond's "Coming to America" and Kim's original "Hero" compilation. It's a great way to start the day! We also had our last practice with Sean our circus school teacher, and it was sad to say goodbye for the last time. It was a foreshadow of things to come...there will be a lot of goodbyes before too long!

The final highlight of the day was watching the men's 400 m relay capture gold and watching Michael Phelps win his record 8th gold medal of the Olympics. What an incredible athlete! I feel so lucky to have the opportunity to watch such a historical event, and to be a member of the US team with him on it! His story is among the many memories I will take home with me after the games are over and I'm back to living a regular life!

4 comments:

Mary said...

Hi, Janet!

This is your Kindergarten teacher (I think that I was "Miss Bennett" then).

I am so proud of you, and so excited for you!

I'm very sorry about Jennie's injury. If it wasn't for that, I know she'd be right there with you.

I can only imagine how strong, skilled and graceful you are. You were such a cute, fun, determined and smart little girl in Kindergarten.

This must be such an amazing experience for you and I know that you will be wonderful. It sounds like you and your team are working very hard and you will be fantastic.

Will you be performing in both the duet free and the team free events?

Please tell Jennie, David and your parents "hello" for me. You have such a wonderful family.

I hope that you will also be able to see some of the amazing sites near Beijing, like the Forbidden City and the Great Wall. Our family was in Beijing in the summer of 2006 and it was incredible.

Have an absolutely wonderful time. This is so impressive and I am so proud of you!

Mary B.

Katie Roberts said...

I'm getting soooo excited for you!! I really can't wait to see you - thanks for sharing all your amazing moments. GOOD LUCK JANET!! :-D


Katie Roberts

Rob said...

Hi Janet,
Greetings from the Laughlins here in Omaha. We have been watching the Olmpics, closely following the swimming since we had tickets to the Olympic Swim Trials here in Omaha and shared them with friends. How exciting it has been to see the swim team doing so well and of course Michael Phelps' 8 gold medals. The team performed marvelously!

We were glad to get your schedule from you Dad before he left. Hope you are doing well and yur parents have arrived by now! We have been watching and hope to see some synchro coverage soon. Did Jenny come to Bejing? We all wish you and your teammates great success! You have already made us proud! All the best from Omaha!

Hugs to you and your parents,

Rob, Janet, Joey & Melissa Laughlin

Mary said...

Janet,

I'm sorry about misspelling Jenny's name. The Denver Post article spelled it "Jennie." It looked different to me, but I thought that maybe I was remembering incorrectly or that maybe she had changed the spelling.

I'm sorry, Jenny! :)

Mary