Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Welcome to Beijing! (Beijing Huan Jing Ni!)

I am writing from the Olympic Village in Beijing China...I can't believe it! I meant to write as soon as we got in last night, but yesterday ended up being a bit long to say the least.

Our flight was pretty uneventful, except that I met some really nice USA team-mates--some of whom used to live at the Colorado Springs training center. We arrived in Beijing to find it sunny! What a change from when I was here in April. We received our Olympic credential which I'll be wearing around my neck every hour of every day, well when I'm not swimming, because it gets us into the pool, the village, the dining hall, and various other Olympic places. The drive from the airport was hyper--we were all on a high even though we had slept little on the plane. There were gardens and signs everywhere welcoming us to Beijing and announcing the Olympics. The Olympic village is absolutely beautiful! There are gardens and ponds and sculptures, and the rooms are pretty modest but nice. After moving in to our rooms we headed strait to the practice pool to stretch out a little and get rid of the "travel legs" we all grew on the plane. I was kind of dreading doing anything athletic at that point, but it actually felt really good to just swim for a little while and stretch out. I think we finally made it to the dining hall at 9 or 9:30, grabbed a quick dinner, and headed strait to bed. I think I fell asleep in less than five minutes!

It's so great to be here and I can't wait to explore the village in the next couple of days. I miss you all and hope you get a little idea of what life is like here!

1 comment:

Clarky said...

I wish you a whole lot of success! Holding our fingers crossed for you and your team!

America's friends from Minsk, Belarus